Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Kindness

I was driving home from a birthday party last Saturday night and my car started acting up!  In a nutshell, it overheated and cut off!!! Luckily I was taking an exit and was able to make it to the off-ramp before it completely shut down.  Needless to say, I was scared out of my wits.  I immediately called my husband and told him what happened.  He comforted me as much as he could over the phone and wanted to come to where I was located.  I told him I was fine and that I would call AAA and have them bring me and my broken car home.  To their credit, AAA sent a truck out immediately and I was soon on my way home. 

What happened before AAA arrived is what struck me.  A fellow driver stopped and asked if everything was alright.  That moment of kindness had a profound effect on me. I was so touched by his concern for a stranger.  In that instant, a calmness came over me. There are still people in the world that would take the time to help a stranger.
  
My incident, while scary, confirms my belief that there are angels everywhere waiting to help if we only open our hearts and minds to the possibility that they exists.  Of course, you have to be careful and listen to your intuition, for your own safety - and I was.  But what a great testament I can share.

That same evening, I got the opportunity to pay that kindness forward when my AAA driver and I came across a car with four young ladies whose car had just died like mine on the off ramp of the freeway.  My driver made a U turn and helped push their car out of harm’s way and I used my AAA card to get them assistance.  Luckily for them, they simply ran out of gas.  The driver was able to give them enough gas to get across the street and to the gas station!   


Kindness is all around us if we only take a moment to
look, appreciate and demonstrate it.
When was the last time you received kindness and paid it forward?

No comments:

Post a Comment